Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Vegetarian Tortilla Soup



Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
2 points per 1 cup serving
My newest obsession is Qdoba's Vegetarian Mexican Gumbo and this Tortilla Soup is part of my recreation of it. This recipe is just for the soup, and at the end, I will tell you how I put it together w/ other ingredients to make my own Mexican Gumbo. This soup recipe is based on one I found at allrecipes.com.
Ingredients
  • 1 Tbl olive oil
  • 1 lb. package of frozen Grilled Pepper Blend (I found these at Target - Archer Farms brand)
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 Tbl ground cumin
  • 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 small can chopped green chile peppers (Use more or less to taste. I actually like things very spicy, but I only added about 3/4 can so it wouldn't be too spicy for my 3 year old. I would have liked at least 2 cans for my own taste.)
  • 4 tsp Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base (or 4 vegetarian bouillon cubes or 4 cups of vegetarian broth).
  • 4 cups water (if using broth, eliminate water!)
  • 11 oz can of whole kernel corn (I used Green Giant Mexicorn)

Directions

  • Heat olive oil in large pot
  • Add onion, garlic and frozen pepper blend and saute until vegetables are tender
  • Add crushed tomatoes, cumin, chile peppers, bouillon and water and bring to a boil.
  • Lower heat and simmer about 20 minutes.
  • Add corn and simmer another 5 minutes.

To make Mexican Gumbo, add 1/2 cup cooked brown rice, 1/2 cup cooked black beans to a bowl, then add 1 cup of Tortilla Soup. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, lime juice, avocado or guacamole, tortilla chips and/or whatever else you can imagine!! Obviously, all of these things add to the points value; but it makes for a very filling main dish!!



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home