Sunday, July 05, 2009

American Toast (a patriotic version of French toast)


4 points for 2 pieces (including berries, whipped topping and maple syrup!)

This is a lightened up version of French Toast. I'm calling it American Toast since yesterday was Independence Day! Pictured above are 2 pieces, which was my serving, but my instructions are for 3 slices. I made one piece for my little sous chef, Robin.

Ingredients:
  • 3 slices Newman's Own 100% whole wheat bread
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbs 1% milk
  • about 3/4 cups of strawberries/blueberries
  • about 1.5 Tbs pure maple syrup (I used 1 Tbs for my serving and I'm guessing 1/2 Tbs for Robin)
  • 1.5 Tbs whipped topping (not the healthies thing, but from the 4th of July celebration yesterday and it tasted really good. Plus, it's low in calories.)
Directions:
  • Heat skillet to medium hot.
  • Crack the egg into a bowl and mix completely with a fork.
  • Add the milk and mix (this thins out the egg to help save on calories/points).
  • Dip both sides of bread into the egg mixture and scrape off the excess. Place bread into the skillet. Depending on how large your skillet is, you may be able to cook more than one piece at a time.
  • Cook each piece of bread for a few minutes at a time, until each side is browned.
  • Remove toast to plate, add berries, syrup and whipped topping.*
  • Enjoy!!
*For two pieces, add 1/2 cup of berries, 1 Tbs syrup and 1 Tbs whipped topping. For one piece, add 1/4 cup berries, 1/2 tbs syrup and 1/2 Tbs whipped topping.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home