Monday, November 16, 2009

Oat Dinner Muffins



Oat Dinner Muffins
Guessing at 2-3 points each

I came up with this recipe so that I'd have a quick, whole grain bread to eat with beans, soups, etc. Cornbread is really tasty, but since the corn is degerminated in the milling process, it is not a whole grain.


I majorly modified a basic muffin recipe from my trusty ol' Better Homes And Gardens Cook Book and came up with these sweet, delicious, whole grain dinner muffins. I completely eliminated cooking oil from the recipe to make it lower in fat and you can't even tell.

Ingredients:




  • 1 cup white flour

  • 3/4 cup rolled oats

  • 1/4 cup flax seed meal

  • 1/4 cup sugar (though, I think I will use a bit less next time)

  • 2 tsp baking powder

  • 1/4 tsp salt

  • 1 beaten egg

  • 3/4 cup milk


Directions:




  • Spray muffin pan or line with paper baking cups.

  • Preheat oven to 400.

  • In medium bowl, combine flour, oats, flax seed meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture.

  • In another bowl, combine egg and milk.

  • Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir until just moistened (batter should be lumpy).

  • Spoon batter into muffin pan. I used a 1/4 measuring cup and it only made 8 muffins vs. the 12 the original recipe stated it would yield.

  • Sprinkle dry rolled oats on the top of muffin batter.

  • Bake in 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers come out clean.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home