Friday, July 03, 2009

Black Bean Tacos

5 points for 3 tacos

I've been making these tacos all week loosely-based on a blog post my sister Carrie sent to me. I've finally perfected the technique for cooking the tortillas so that they don't break when you turn them over! I just made 3 of these for dinner, so I will give instructions on how to make 3. They are SO good and it is hard to believe how low in fat and calories they are. The beans and the corn tortillas make a complete protein. The dairy is also a complete protein in itself.

Ingredients:
  • 3 thin corn tortillas
  • 6 Tbs black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 Tbs salsa
  • 3 Tbs shredded lowfat cheese* (divided)
  • 1 Tbs light sour cream (divided)
  • Olive Oil spray (or Pam if you don't have an oil sprayer)
Directions:
  • Heat skillet to medium high.
  • Place black beans in a bowl, along with the salsa. Mash with a fork until well blended.
  • Lightly spray tortillas on each side with olive oil (or Pam) and place onto skillet. I have a large iron skillet and I was able to start one taco, then after I folded it over, I moved it to the side and was able to start on the next tortilla and so forth. By the end all 3 were folded over and cooking in the skillet at the same time.
  • While tortilla is cooking, scoop 1/3 of black bean mixture (about 2.5 Tbs) onto it. Spread the bean mixture to run the diameter of the tortilla, but slightly off center.
  • Using a spatula, fold the tortilla in half.
  • Scoot the taco to the side of your skillet and start the next tortilla.
  • Turn tacos over to cook the other side once the tortillas are getting a bit crispy** and is getting dark brown spots on them.
  • When the 2nd side is getting a bit crispy** and has dark brown spots, remove tacos onto a plate.
  • Add whatever you like to the tacos; I added some more salsa, 1 Tbs of cheese per taco and 1 tsp of light sour cream per taco. I didn't have any fresh lettuce or tomatoes, but that would have been really good in them.

*I used a sharp cheddar cheese made from goat milk from a local dairy; it has the same calories and fat as lowfat cow milk cheese. If you use regular cow milk shredded cheese, the points increase to 6. I'm not a huge fan of lowfat cow's milk cheese because it just doesn't seem to cook or taste the same. I'm willing to give up lower points for good cheese.

**These are not crispy corn tacos. The tortillas are still soft, but the outsides are a bit crispy/crunchy. I just wanted to clarify; if you were expecting an uber-crunchy taco like you might get at Taco Bell, you'd be disappointed. I love the consistency of these tacos. They don't fall apart when you eat them.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home