Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Chickpea Salad Sandwiches (aka, Vegetarian Tuna Salad)

3.5 points for the entire sandwich (1.5 for the chickpea salad, 2 for the bread)

I had read somewhere several years ago that vegetarians can make a mock-tuna salad by using chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans or ceci beans) in place of the tuna fish. I never tried it until yesterday. I must say, this is a pretty good, quick lunch. I was bummed I didn't have any lettuce and tomato to complete the sandwich, but it was still good. Plus, the chickpeas aong with the whole wheat of the bread make a complete protein.

Ingredients (makes enough for 2 sandwiches)
  • 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas, drained
  • 1 Tbs light mayonaise
  • 1/4 tsp yellow mustard*
  • several dill pickle slices, chopped
  • squeeze of lemon juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  • Place chickpeas in a bowl and mash with a fork. They don't need to be pureed by any means, but you might want to be sure that you hit each bean.
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and mix with the fork.
  • (I just realized that it would be easier to just throw all ingredients into a food processor until mixed.)
Again, this makes enough for 2 sandwiches. I ate the one pictured above yesterday and today made a wrap with a Flatout flatbread. I added zucchini slices to the wrap to bulk it up a bit.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home