Thursday, August 10, 2006

Cuban Black Beans

Cuban Black Beans and Rice
4 points for 1/2 cup of brown rice and 1/2 cup of beans

I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com. A couple of weeks ago, the news coming out of Cuba inspired me to find a Cuban recipe. This passed the "Jeff test" so I think this is now in my reprotare. This picture actually came from the 2nd time I made these beans. I used a pound of dry black beans instead of canned.

Ingredients

  • 2 cans black beans (or 1 pound of dry black beans)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 bay leaf
  • 1.5 tsp paprika
  • 1.5 tsp cumin
  • 1 Tbl dried oregano
  • 1 large jalapeno, diced
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 cu balsamic vinegar
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions (canned beans)

  • Prepare rice according to package directions*
  • If you are using canned beans, it really doesn't get any easier. Just add everything to a pot, stir and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
  • Serve over rice


This picture was taken when I prepared this using canned beans.

Directions (dry beans)

  • I use the quick soak method, which basically is after beans are rinsed and sorted, add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat and let sit for 1 hour.
  • Drain water from beans, add 6 cups of fresh water, then add all other ingredients.
  • Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours.
  • While beans are cooking, prepare rice according to package directions*
  • Serve over rice

*Note: see my posts about preparing rice, here and here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home