Monday, July 10, 2006

Banana Nut and Raisin Bread
Need to figure out points!!

I "Hollyfied" a recipe from the old school red and white checkered Better Homes and Gardens cookbook - "America's #1 Cookbook Since 1930." I made this for my friends Lori and Momo for breakfast Sunday morning, during their visit.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1 cup ground oatmeal*
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 large)
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 1/4 olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup raisins
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Spray 9x9 casserole dish with Pam (You really should use a loaf pan, but I don't have any!)
  • Combine all ingredients just until moist (using stand mixer). If not using stand mixer, combine dry ingredients (except nuts) and make a well in the center, then combine the moist ingredients and add to flour mixture, stir just until moistened then fold in nuts.
  • Bake for about 45 minutes (if using loaf pan, bake for 55 to 60 minutes)
  • The BHG cookbook says to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Then, wrap and store overnight before slicing. Ummm, OK. Who would pass up the chance to eat warm banana nut bread?!? Not me. I let it cool for a few minutes (maybe 10?), then I sliced it up!
*Here is how I "Hollyfied" it: The recipe called for 2 cups of white flour. I ground up 1 cup of oatmeal in my food processor and replaced one cup of white flour with that. I also used 1/2 the amount of oil (original recipe called for 1/2 cup) and 3/4 of the amount of sugar (original recipe called for a full cup). I didn't have any nutmeg, so I used pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon and nutmeg called for in the recipe. I added raisins, which were not called for in the recipe at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home