Friday, June 23, 2006

Mexican Black Beans and Rice
5 WW points


I was going to make Cajun Red Beans and Rice, but I only had one can of Kidney Beans and I had no cans of tomatoes left. Since I had black beans and some of my homemade salsa, I decided to make a Mexican Black Beans and Rice dish instead. Hands on time for this meal was only about 10 or 15 minutes. Of course, the rice takes a while to cook. But I think this is one of the fastest (hand-on wise) things I have made and it was REALLY good!

Rice Ingredients
  • 1 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 2 Tbs Chili Powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 2 Tbs finely chopped cilantro
  • 2 1/2 cups water
Directions
  • Up until a few days ago, I didn't know you could cook rice in the microwave! It turns out just as good and there's no chance of burning it, which I normally do when I cook rice on the stove.
  • In 2 quart microwave safe dish, mix rice, chili powder, cumin and cilantro
  • Add water and cover the dish
  • Follow cooking instructions on rice package - I used Mahatma brown rice and their microwave instructions were to cook on high power for 5 minutes, then reduce power to 50% and cook for 40 minutes. (Note: White rice takes about half the amount of time to cook, but its not a whole grain). The instructions said to let the rice sit for 5 minutes after cooking, but we didn't and it was just fine.
Black Beans Ingredients
  • 1/4 onion, minced
  • 2 - 4 garlic cloves, minced (or 1/2 to 1 tsp of garlic powder)
  • 2 15oz cans of black beans
  • 2 tbs cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup salsa (canned tomatoes would work, too)
  • 2 Tbs chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • dash of cayenne pepper (if you want it spicy)
Directions
  • Spray sauce pan with Pam and heat
  • Saute onion and garlic for a few minutes
  • Add cans of black beans and stir
  • Add cilantro, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and salsa and stir.
  • Heat through
Scoop 1/2 cup of rice and 1/2 cup beans into a bowl for 4 points worth of deliciousness. I added about 1/4 cup of shredded mexican cheese, which added about 1 point. Jeff didn't add cheese, but crumbled crackers on top of his for probably 1 or 2 points.

Other things to top this off with would be salsa, fat free sour cream or plain yogurt, or some fresh cilantro.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home