Friday, August 22, 2008

Quinoa with Black Beans


Quinoa with Black Beans
4 points per 1 cup serving

OMG I can't believe I haven't included this recipe yet?? Wha.....? I make this a lot and it is really good. I made it tonight for my in-laws and they liked it as well.
I "Hollified" this recipe quite a bit from http://www.allrecipes.com/. Here's how I made it tonight.
Ingredients
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion diced
  • 1 medium carrot shredded (sometimes I add this, sometimes not)
  • 1.5 cups uncooked quinoa
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder (sometimes I add fresh diced garlic - about 2-4 cloves - instead)
  • About 3 cups cooked black beans (about 2 cans)
  • 1/2 large can of diced or crushed tomatoes (about 1 15oz can)

Directions

  • Heat olive oil in non-stick skillet
  • Saute onion and carrot until soft
  • Add water and bring to a boil
  • Add quinoa, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder and stir through
  • Bring water back to a boil, and reduce heat to low
  • Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
  • Add black beans and diced tomatoes, stir through
  • Cook until heated through completely

This is a larger batch than I normally make. I typically will make this with just one cup of uncooked quinoa. Sometimes I use one can of black beans, sometimes two. It just depends on what I have in the pantry. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts this week, I made a pound of dry beans earlier this week, so I just used 3 cups of those beans, which is equal to about 2 regular cans of beans.

As I was typing this, I realized that I didn't top the quinoa with avocado tonight! That is the whole reason I made quinoa because I had several avocados that need to be used. Darn!! Anyway, it is really good with avocado.

Also, Jeff likes to make a wrap out of his. He puts a big scoop onto a large tortilla, adds cheese and salsa and wraps it up. Yum.

This larger batch made 7 cups total. I figure 1 cup is good (generous) serving size. Check out the Nutrition Facts below. Not bad!! Though, I am disappointed in the protein rating that NutritionData.com provided for this recipe. I always have heard that quinoa is a complete protein by itself, yet even with the beans, ND.com rated this only a 50. 100 or more is considered to be a complete protein. Hmmmm??? I'll have to research.



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home