Saturday, May 17, 2008

Tofu and Veggie Stir Fry

We recently joined an organic produce co-op and I discovered that a stir-fry will use up a lot of vegetables!! I also discovered a delicious all-natural Teriaki Sauce - Soy Vay. It is so good!! I has sesame seeds as well as actual pieces of ginger and garlic. Here's a pic and a link: http://www.soyvay.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=23&chapter=0&zenid=2ee7c41367e2df9eb995758e47a80a62

Here's my recipe. I just use whatever stir-fry worthy veggies I have on hand. This is what I used last time:
Ingredients
  • 1 cup of brown rice (or other grain such as quinoa)
  • 2 carrots, sliced on the bias
  • 1/2 head cabbage
  • 2 zucchini, sliced
  • 2 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 1 bunch of broccoli, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 1 pound firm or extra firm tofu
  • Soy sauce
  • 1/2 bottle of Soy Vay (about 1 1/4 cups) - make sure it is well mixed

Directions

  • Start cooking your grain according to package directions. I used quinoa the last time I made this and it was really good!
  • Preheat oven 350 degrees
  • Cut tofu into pieces of the desired size you like. We like ours super thin, so I cut the tofu into 64 pieces. I cut the tofu into sixteenths, then each sixteenth is cut into 4 pieces.
  • Spray baking tray with oil
  • Arrange tofu in a single layer
  • Drizzle with soy sauce and brush to cover.
  • Spray with oil
  • Turn tofu pieces over and brush again as needed
  • Spray again
  • Bake about 15-20 minutes
  • While tofu is baking cook the stir fry. Spray the skillet with oil and heat on medium heat.
  • Pour a bit of Soy Vay in the skillet (about 1/4 cup or so)
  • Add broccoli, carrots and celery (or whatever veggies you are using that will take longer to cook).
  • Stir to cover veggies with Soy Vay.
  • Let cook a few minutes (5? 10?) until they start getting a little soft.
  • Add zucchini and onion and the remainder of the Soy Vay, stir to completely combine and let cook a few more minutes.
  • Add cabbage, stir and cook another 5 mins.
  • Add tofu and stir and cook a few more minutes.

Serve with cooked grain. Delish!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home