Monday, February 25, 2008

Spanish Garlic and Vegetable Soup

Points? Probably not many... I'd guess 2 or 3 per half cup? According to the nutritional info on allrecipes.com one serving is 3 points, but I don't know how large a serving is. This recipe makes 6 "servings".

I found this soup on www.allrecipes.com to use up cabbage, cauliflower and carrots I got at co-op. It is really good! My very picky husband actually said it is "unbelievably good"!

I tweaked the recipe a bit: I used half as much cabbage as called for in the recipe. I also used almost a whole small can of tomato paste and increased the amount of milk to 3/4 cup. The can of diced tomatoes I used had Italian seasonings (basil, oregano and something else I can't think of off the top of my head). I also added some Italian seasoning. Also, I used my new immersion blender and just pureed the whole soup right there in the pot I cooked it in. Awesome.

The link for the recipe is: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spanish-Garlic-and-Vegetable-Soup/Detail.aspx but I'll paste the recipe here. BTW, that's MY pic on the recipe that I submitted to allrecipes.com! Yay! My blue bowls are famous!!

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 medium head cabbage, chopped
1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
2 leeks, sliced
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
4 teaspoons tomato paste
1 quart water
1/4 cup milk or light cream
1 tablespoon butter
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

  • Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrot, cabbage, cauliflower and leeks. Cook, stirring constantly, for a few minutes until cabbage wilts.
  • Stir in the garlic and tomato paste, and continue to cook for another minute or two, stirring constantly to prevent the garlic from burning.
  • Stir in 2 cups of water, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Pour in the diced tomatoes and the remaining 2 cups of water, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
  • Reserve 2 cups of the liquid, and puree the remaining soup in a blender or food processor.
  • Return the blended mixture to the reserved liquid, and stir in milk and butter. Return to a boil, and cook for 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home